Scott PortelliHead Photography Guide
Scott Portelli is an international award-winning wildlife, nature and underwater photographer. He’s a member of the Australian Institute of Professional Photography (AIPP) and is regarded as a leading professional in his field. Scott has spent thousands of hours in remote locations across the globe filming and photographing nature, wildlife, the underwater environment and wild places.
Scott has spent over a decade working in the polar regions with a focus on Antarctica, the Subantarctic and Artic regions, producing a unique portfolio of fine art photography that showcases the intricate environment and its intriguing inhabitants. Working in extreme conditions, Scott’s photography provides a rarely seen glimpse above and below the surface in some of the harshest places on the planet.
As a professional nature, wildlife, underwater and aerial photographer, Scott spends a lot of time travelling the world to remote destinations in search of some of the most amazing creatures on the planet. For Scott, it is about the journey, bringing an idea to life by capturing a moment in time or by evoking an emotion. Each image has a unique story that is usually a very intimate moment that Scott may have shared with the subject.
“To create interesting concepts, it sometimes involves me immersing myself in an environment in order to research the location, subject matter and what opportunities may present themselves. I once spent two months on the back of a snow mobile in Baffin Island, Canadian Arctic in minus 37 degrees just to do a reconnaissance of the region for a series of photos I wanted to produce. In the end, I love what I do and I love sharing the natural world through photography.”
Scott was awarded at the prestigious Wildlife Photographer of the Year in London in 2016, announced National Winner of the Sony World Photography Awards 2016 and Winner at Travel Photographer of the Year 2015. More recently, he was awarded winner in the Animal Behaviour Category at the Australian Geographic Nature Photographer of the Year ANZANG 2017, winner in the Underwater Category of the Asferico International Nature Photography Awards 2018 and runner up in the Behaviour Category at Underwater Photographer of the Year 2019. His conservation documentary also took out two awards at the prestigious French Underwater Film Festival in Marseille.
Scott's other notable awards include:
- 3rd Prize - National Geographic Travel Photo Contest - Nature Category 2019
- Winner - 13th Annual Black & White Spider Awards 2018
- Highly Honoured - Nature's Best, Windland Smith Rice International Awards 2018
- Winner - Sony World Photography Awards 2016
An accredited licensed RPAS/UAV Pilot, Scott has worked on aerial projects for some of Australia’s most sought-after tourism destinations.
Scott runs photography workshops and lectures to show enthusiasts and experts alike the best way to get the most out of their photography. On his Polar tours he specialises in Nature & Wildlife photography bringing the best tips and techniques for photographing in challenging locations.
Scott will be joining us as our onboard photography guide on:
- Spirit of Antarctica (ANP127G), departing October 2019
- Spirit of Antarctica (ANP128G), departing November 2019
- Spirit of Antarctica (ANP129G), departing November 2019
- Iceland, Greenland and East Canada (IAR001G), departing September 2020
- Antarctic Explorer (ANP135G), departing in December 2020
- Antarctic Explorer (ANP136G), departing in January 2021
- Antarctic Explorer (ANP137G), departing in January 2021
- Wild Scotland (SCOT16G), departing June 2021
- Orkneys, Faroes, Jan Mayen & Svalbard (SFS001G), departing June 2021
There are no results, try a different filter.