Escape the Crowds, Challenge Yourself & be Free in Alaska
Alaska is a place of bountiful wildlife, spectacular landscapes of rugged mountains, verdant temperate forests, and wildlife-rich fjords. Tidewater glaciers push down to the sea where whales can be seen feeding and frolicking.
Our Alaska expeditions are designed to offer a balanced mix of encounters with wildlife, nature, culture and history. A small-ship Alaska cruise expedition allows for greater flexibility to change our itinerary to maximise encounters with wildlife, and to give us greater access to small coves and inlets that larger vessels are not able to access.
So why should you come to Alaska onboard an Aurora Expeditions voyage? We’ve made it easy. Here are our top 10 reasons why you should choose to explore the North American archipelago with us.
1. Unique itineraries that take you to less trodden destinations
Discover Alaska, the Aleutian Island and Haida Gwaii like you’ve never seen before. Our destination experts and expedition team have created itineraries that will take you to some of the remote places where few others venture – so you can have next level experiences in wild and remote places.
Traverse the incredible 1900-km chain of Aleutian Islands that are rich in incredible wildlife and biodiversity that few have had the chance to visit.
- Visit and explore Aleutian Islands, Haida Gwaii, Dean River Channel or Prince William Sound.
- Be challenged by next-level experiences in wild and remote places.
2. Escape the crowds with access to smaller ports that are inaccessible by larger ships
- Have the unique opportunity to visit Metlakatla Indian Community, Inian Islands, Elfin Cove, Point Adolphus and Saint Lazaria Wildlife Refuge.
- A small-ship Alaska cruise expedition allows for greater flexibility to change our itinerary to maximise encounters with wildlife, and to give us greater access to small coves and inlets that larger vessels are not able to access.
3. Authentic and alluring experience that allows you to be absorbed by your surroundings and the spirit of adventure
- Our expedition team encourage you to go beyond your comfort zone and test your limits.
- Rather than see Alaska from the balcony of a cruise ship you are literally immersed in your surroundings on an Aurora Expeditions voyage with our days spent exploring with our expert guides.
- “An expedition is not only about discovering the natural world and immersing yourself in it, but also to challenge yourself.” – Mark Lee, Destination Expert.
4. Ships designed for discovery with the ease of hopping on and off via our team designed activity pontoon
- Our ships are designed to get you off with ease so you can make the most of your trip and spend more time in nature.
- Aurora Expeditions’ purpose-built expedition ships the Greg Mortimer and the Sylvia Earle, utilise the latest advancements in naval design and technology that truly revolutionises the small ship expedition experience. The Ulstein X-BOW® hull makes sailing smoother and faster. Aurora Expeditions are fully equipped for exploration, which is made easy with four sea-level Zodiac-loading platforms, a mudroom, and an activity preparation area leading to our activity pontoon.
5. One of the most comprehensive activities programs so you can explore more
- We offer an unrivalled roster of activities so you can challenge yourself, reach new limits and play out your wildest dreams.
- Our activity program is flexible so you can tailor it to your needs and ability.
- In Alaska we are offering sea kayaking, scuba diving, snorkelling and stand-up paddleboarding except the Aleutian Islands, where we’re offering sea kayaking.
6. Our small ship difference – make lifelong friends
- With just 120-132 guests it means you can get to know your fellow expeditioners and forge great new relationships.
7. More inclusions give you the freedom to enjoy the experience
- Enjoy your experience without worrying about accumulating costs. Whether it is meals, included activities or pre/post-voyage accommodation.
8. World-class expedition team
- You’ll have access to our Expedition Team experts and with a 1-8 guide to passenger ratio, you’ll have more one-on-one time to be inquisitive and learn.
- From expedition guides to passionate naturalists, historians, expert photographers and industry-leading activity guides, Aurora Expeditions’ team of remote expedition professionals will ensure guests have the trip-of-a-lifetime.
9. Comfortable and friendly onboard atmosphere
- Spend days exploring and come back to a comfortable “home away from home”.
- Enjoy a more casual dress code on board so you can feel more at home.
- Our guests become part of the Aurora Expeditions’ family as soon as they board our ships.
- Our Australian hospitality facilitates a strong sense of camaraderie and openness, making it easy to make new connections.
10. Your chance to be a Citizen Scientist
- Make a difference, engage in your surrounds, and make a valuable contribution to the future of our world through our Citizen Science Program. Find out more about the program and how you can contribute your observations whilst onboard.
‘Our goal is literally to inspire a network of hope – one place, one community, one vision at a time – but together around the world.’
Dr. Sylvia Earle, Oceanographer, Marine Biologist and explorer